Late Blunden stunner hands Jets victory

Oxhey Jets secured an important three points against Cockfosters with a 3-2 win from a match which saw two out-of-form sides meet.

In their first game of 2018, Jets had the early share of possession on Saturday but failed to make the most of it as their final ball was often found wanting.

The flow of the game began to even out and Jets found themselves behind with 34 minutes of the South Midlands Premier Division clash played.

They were unlucky in the extreme in how they conceded as Rob Partington made a fine stop only for the ball to loop up in the air and creep in.

The Cockfosters lead lasted just a matter of minutes and new Jets man Jahobi Maher made sure the sides went in all-square at half-time.

Collecting a loose ball on the edge of the box, Maher fired a fierce snapshot through a ruck of defenders and in.

The second half started with both sides trading chances before John Smith was brought down in the box.

He brushed himself down and calmly converted to give the Jets the lead for the first time.

Cockfosters pulled level with a penalty of their own when Jude Bell committed a foul in the box and the resulting spot-kick was dispatched.

With the game looking more and more likely to end all-square, it took a moment of individual brilliance to swing the advantage definitively in Jets’ direction.

Chris Blunden picked the ball up some 25 yards from goal and let fly with a shot which left the Cockfosters keeper with no chance.

Ting Athletic breezed into the last 16 of the FA Vase with a resounding 5-1 defeat of Hullbridge Sports.

The victory sets up a fifth round meeting with Melksham Town, which sees Tring travel away from home on Saturday, February 3.

They have already made history in the competition by reaching this stage for the first time.

Hullbridge were no match for Athletic and an own goal was added to by strikes from Jack Read, Chris Vardy, Mark Riddick and Max Hercules to secure the famous win.

Tring continued their imperious form in front of goal in the league on Tuesday night as they beat Cockfosters 4-0 in a display of attacking quality.

Read was on target again as he netted a brace and Luke Dunstan also got in on the act with a double of his own.

There was no such cup joy for Berkhamsted in mid-week and they were knocked out of the Herts Senior Cup by Royston Town after losing 3-1.

Ashton Campbell got the Berko goal as the Comrades gave a good account of themselves against a side two divisions above them.

The cup exit came on the back of a potentially pivotal clash in the race for the title as Berko beat third-placed Harpenden Town 4-1 on Saturday.

Heading into the game unbeaten, the league leaders knew a win would strengthen their hopes of being crowned champions.

The win owed much to the efforts of Adam Mead, who scored a hat-trick to add to an effort from Campbell.

Berko maintain a slender one-point gap over second place Welwyn Garden City, who have played three games fewer.

Their title pursuit continues against Hadley at Cow Lane tomorrow before they take on Chipperfield Corinthians in the St Mary’s Cup on Tuesday.

Leverstock Green picked up their form form 2017 by kicking off the year with a 2-1 win over Wembley.

Green were made to wait until two minutes into the second half to break the deadlock when Matt Bateman picked the ball up on the edge of the box and found the corner of the net.

Curtis Donaldson gave them breathing space soon after the hour mark, before Zaied Sabti grabbed a consolation in the first minute of added time Green are now five points clear in fourth place in the table ahead of a meeting with Edgware Town tomorrow. Victory could take them up to third.